National Suicide Prevention Month is recognized every September to help educate on a crisis that is plaguing people of all ages, genders, and nationalities. Across the United States, suicide is the tenth leading cause of death for all age groups, and the second leading cause of death among adults 25 to 44.
Suicidal thoughts can affect anyone, and there is a dire need for an increased focus on suicide prevention — both inside and out of corrections facilities.
To help make a positive impact, ViaPath Technologies partners with several organizations to provide individuals with resources designed to improve mental health and overall wellness during incarceration. Plus, ViaPath also offers multiple communication options, promoting connections to keep people together even when separated by incarceration.
Through ViaPath’s Inspire Tablets, incarcerated individuals have access to applications that promote positive attitudes and increases morale by providing the opportunity to read books, watch movies, listen to music, play games, take educational courses, read religious texts, and meditate.
- A partnership with Dr. Christian Conte, a mental health specialist in the field of anger and emotional management, provides unique content and videos to the tablets, focusing on the mental and emotional health of incarcerated individuals.
- ViaPath Technologies’ partnership with CypherWorx helps to leverage over 30 mental health and suicide prevention programs, giving incarcerated individuals at nearly 2,000 correctional facilities across the country access to vital resources.
- Breaking Free from Substance Abuse assists individuals in achieving and maintaining recovery from dependence on over 70 different substances.
- The Peace Education Program from the Prem Rawat Foundation, offered on our ViaPath Inspire Tablets helps improve mental health and well-being by renewing a sense of purpose in participants.
For returning citizens or family and friends that are suffering, there are many resources and organizations ready to help.
- The Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available 24/7 for those that need assistance for themselves or a friend or loved one.
- The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention offers resources for suicide prevention, including resources focused on diverse communities.
- Give an Hour is a national network of professionals who volunteer their time to provide free and confidential mental health care to specific populations, increasing the likelihood that those in need receive the support and care they deserve.
- The nation’s leading community-based nonprofit focused on suicide prevention, Mental Health America, is dedicated to addressing the needs of those living with mental illness and promoting the overall mental health of all Americans.
If you or someone you know is in an emergency, dial 988, call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 800-273-TALK (8255), or or dial 911 immediately.
About ViaPath Technologies
ViaPath provides advanced communications, technology and management solutions that facilitate meaningful connections, provide educational opportunities, and enable successful reintegration for previously incarcerated individuals. ViaPath is headquartered in Falls Church, Virginia, with an employee presence throughout North America. To learn more, please visit viapath.com.